However (continued Armand after a pause), while I knew myself to be still in love with her, I felt more sure of myself, and part of my desire to speak to Marguerite again was a wish to make her see that I was stronger than she.
但是(阿尔芒德停顿后继续说道),虽然我知道自己仍然爱着她,但我对自己更加有信心,再次与玛格丽特交谈的愿望之一就是想让她看到我比她更加坚强。

How many ways does the heart take, how many reasons does it invent for itself, in order to arrive at what it wants!
心灵可以采取多少种方式,可以编造多少个理由,只为了达到它所渴望的!

I could not remain in the corridor, and I returned to my place in the stalls, looking hastily around to see what box she was in. —
我无法在走廊停留,于是我又回到了自己在正厅的位置,急忙环顾四周,想要找到她所在的包厢。 —

She was in a ground-floor box, quite alone. —
她坐在一个地下的包厢里,完全独自一人。 —

She had changed, as I have told you, and no longer wore an indifferent smile on her lips. —
正如我告诉过你的那样,她已经改变了,不再嘴角挂着漠然的微笑。 —

She had suffered; she was still suffering. —
她曾经受过伤;她仍在受伤。 —

Though it was April, she was still wearing a winter costume, all wrapped up in furs.
尽管已经四月了,她仍然穿着冬装,全身裹着皮毛。

I gazed at her so fixedly that my eyes attracted hers. —
我如此专注地凝视着她,以至于我的目光吸引了她的目光。 —

She looked at me for a few seconds, put up her opera-glass to see me better, and seemed to think she recognised me, without being quite sure who I was, for when she put down her glasses, a smile, that charming, feminine salutation, flitted across her lips, as if to answer the bow which she seemed to expect; —
她凝视着我几秒钟,举起她的歌剧望远镜更好地看着我,似乎认出了我,但又不确定我是谁,因为当她放下眼镜时,嘴角掠过一个迷人而女性化的微笑,好像在回应她似乎期待着的鞠躬; —

but I did not respond, so as to have an advantage over her, as if I had forgotten, while she remembered. —
但我没有回应,为了在她身上占据上风,仿佛我已经忘记了,而她却记得; —

Supposing herself mistaken, she looked away.
自以为错了,她移开了目光;

The curtain went up. I have often seen Marguerite at the theatre. —
幕布拉开了,我经常在剧院里看到玛格丽特; —

I never saw her pay the slightest attention to what was being acted. —
我从未见她对正在表演的事情稍加关注; —

As for me, the performance interested me equally little, and I paid no attention to anything but her, though doing my utmost to keep her from noticing it.
至于我,演出对我来说同样无趣,我只关注她,尽管尽力避免她注意到;

Presently I saw her glancing across at the person who was in the opposite box; —
不久后,我看到她瞥了一眼坐在对面包厢的人; —

on looking, I saw a woman with whom I was quite familiar. —
我看过后,发现那是一个我非常熟悉的女人。 —

She had once been a kept woman, and had tried to go on the stage, had failed, and, relying on her acquaintance with fashionable people in Paris, had gone into business and taken a milliner’s shop. —
她曾经是一个被养着的女人,曾试图进入舞台,失败了,依靠她在巴黎时髦人士的熟人,开始经商并开了一家女帽店。 —

I saw in her a means of meeting with Marguerite, and profited by a moment in which she looked my way to wave my hand to her. —
我看到她是与玛格丽特见面的方式,并趁她朝我这边望过来的瞬间向她挥手。 —

As I expected, she beckoned to me to come to her box.
正如我所预料的那样,她向我使了个手势,叫我去她的包厢。

Prudence Duvernoy (that was the milliner’s auspicious name) was one of those fat women of forty with whom one requires very little diplomacy to make them understand what one wants to know, especially when what one wants to know is as simple as what I had to ask of her.
普鲁登斯·杜维尔努瓦(这是那家女帽店吉祥的名字)是那种四十岁的胖女人之一,对于那些想了解自己想要知道的事情,尤其是像我这样简单的问题,她们需要很少的手腕。

I took advantage of a moment when she was smiling across at Marguerite to ask her, “Whom are you looking at?”
我趁她笑着看着玛格丽特的时候,问她:“你在看谁?”

“Marguerite Gautier.”
“玛格丽特·戈蒂埃。”

“You know her?”
“你认识她?”

“Yes, I am her milliner, and she is a neighbour of mine.”
“是的,我是她的帽子店主,她就是我隔壁的邻居。”

“Do you live in the Rue d’Antin?”
“你住在安坦街吗?”

“No. 7. The window of her dressing-room looks on to the window of mine.”
“不,7号。她的化妆室的窗户对着我的窗户。”

“They say she is a charming girl.”
“他们说她是一个迷人的女孩。”

“Don’t you know her?”
“你不认识她吗?”

“No, but I should like to.”
“不,但我很想认识她。”

“Shall I ask her to come over to our box?”
“我该问她过来我们的包厢吗?”

“No, I would rather for you to introduce me to her.”
“不,我更希望你把我介绍给她。”

“At her own house?”
“在她自己家里吗?”

“Yes.
“是的。”

“That is more difficult.”
“那更难。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because she is under the protection of a jealous old duke.”
“因为她受到一个嫉妒的老公爵的保护。”

“‘Protection’ is charming.”
“‘保护’真是太迷人了。”

“Yes, protection,” replied Prudence. —
“是的,保护。”普鲁登斯回答道。 —

“Poor old man, he would be greatly embarrassed to offer her anything else.”
“可怜的老人,要是他提供其他什么,他会非常为难。”

Prudence then told me how Marguerite had made the acquaintance of the duke at Bagnères.
普鲁登斯随后告诉我玛格丽特是如何在巴皇的结识了公爵。

“That, then,” I continued, “is why she is alone here?”
“那么,”我接着说,“这就是为什么她一个人在这里了?”

“Precisely.”
“确切地说。”

“But who will see her home?”
“但是谁会送她回家?”

“He will.”
“他会。”

“He will come for her?”
“他会来接她吗?”

“In a moment.”
“一会儿。”

“And you, who is seeing you home?”
“那你呢,谁送你回家?”

“No one.”
“没人。”

“May I offer myself?”
“我可以替你送吗?”

“But you are with a friend, are you not?”
“但你不是和朋友在一起吗?”

“May we offer, then?”
“那我们可以一起送。”

“Who is your friend?”
“你的朋友是谁?”

“A charming fellow, very amusing. He will be delighted to make your acquaintance.”
“一个迷人的家伙,非常有趣。他会很高兴认识你。”

“Well, all right; we will go after this piece is over, for I know the last piece.”
“好吧,等这个节目结束我们就走,因为我知道最后一个节目。”

“With pleasure; I will go and tell my friend.”
“很愿意,我去告诉我的朋友。”

“Go, then. Ah,” added Prudence, as I was going, “there is the duke just coming into Marguerite’s box.”
我走的时候,Prudence补充道,“公爵正在进入Marguerite的包厢。”

I looked at him. A man of about seventy had sat down behind her, and was giving her a bag of sweets, into which she dipped at once, smiling. —
我看着他。一个大约七十岁的男人坐在她身后,递给她一个袋子糖果,她立刻探手拿了一些,面带微笑。 —

Then she held it out toward Prudence, with a gesture which seemed to say, “Will you have some?”
然后她朝普鲁登斯伸出袋子,手势似乎在说:“你要吃吗?”

“No,” signalled Prudence.
“不要,”普鲁登斯示意道。

Marguerite drew back the bag, and, turning, began to talk with the duke.
玛格丽特收回了袋子,转身和公爵开始交谈。

It may sound childish to tell you all these details, but everything relating to Marguerite is so fresh in my memory that I can not help recalling them now.
我知道这听起来有点儿幼稚,但我对于玛格丽特的一切细节都还记忆犹新,所以现在不禁想起来了。

I went back to Gaston and told him of the arrangement I had made for him and for me. —
我回到了加斯东身边,告诉他我为他和我安排的计划。 —

He agreed, and we left our stalls to go round to Mme. Duvernoy’s box. —
他同意了,我们离开座位,绕到了迪弗诺依夫人的包厢那边。 —

We had scarcely opened the door leading into the stalls when we had to stand aside to allow Marguerite and the duke to pass. —
我们刚打开通往座位的门,就得让玛格丽特和公爵先通过。 —

I would have given ten years of my life to have been in the old man’s place.
我宁可失去十年的生命也愿意换成老人的位置。

When they were on the street he handed her into a phaeton, which he drove himself, and they were whirled away by two superb horses.
当他们在街上的时候,他把她交给了自己开的一辆四轮马车,然后他们被两匹漂亮的马带走了。

We returned to Prudence’s box, and when the play was over we took a cab and drove to 7, Rue d’Antin. At the door, Prudence asked us to come up and see her showrooms, which we had never seen, and of which she seemed very proud. —
我们回到普鲁登斯的包厢,剧终后我们叫了一辆出租车,去了Rue d’Antin 7号。在门口,普鲁登斯请我们上去看她自豪的陈列室,我们之前从未见过。 —

You can imagine how eagerly I accepted. It seemed to me as if I was coming nearer and nearer to Marguerite. —
你可以想象我是多么热切地接受了邀请。对我来说,好像离玛格丽特越来越近了。 —

I soon turned the conversation in her direction.
我很快把话题引向了她。

“The old duke is at your neighbour’s,” I said to Prudence.
“邻居那个老公爵在你家那边。”我对普鲁登斯说。

“Oh, no; she is probably alone.”
“哦,不,她可能独自一人。”

“But she must be dreadfully bored,” said Gaston.
“但她一定觉得无聊透顶了。”加斯东说。

“We spend most of our evening together, or she calls to me when she comes in. —
“我们大多数晚上都在一起,她来的时候会给我打电话。 —

She never goes to bed before two in the morning. —
她半夜两点之前都不会上床睡觉。 —

She can’t sleep before that.”
她睡不着。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because she suffers in the chest, and is almost always feverish.”
“因为她胸口很痛,并且几乎总是发烧。”

“Hasn’t she any lovers?” I asked.
“她没有情人吗?”我问。

“I never see anyone remain after I leave; I don’t say no one ever comes when I am gone. —
“我离开后从不见任何人留下来;我并不说我走后就没有人来过。” —

Often in the evening I meet there a certain Comte de N., who thinks he is making some headway by calling on her at eleven in the evening, and by sending her jewels to any extent; —
“通常在晚上我在那里遇到一个叫作N.的伯爵,他以晚上十一点去拜访她,给她送珠宝,以为自己有所进展;” —

but she can’t stand him. She makes a mistake; he is very rich. —
“但她受不了他。她弄错了,他很富有。” —

It is in vain that I say to her from time to time, ‘My dear child, there’s the man for you. —
“我时不时地对她说:‘亲爱的孩子,那个男人就是你的良缘。’” —

’ She, who generally listens to me, turns her back and replies that he is too stupid. —
“她通常听我的,但她转身面对着我,并回答说他太愚蠢。” —

Stupid, indeed, he is; but it would be a position for her, while this old duke might die any day. —
“他的确愚蠢,但对她来说,那将会是一个身份;而这位老公爵随时可能去世。” —

Old men are egoists; his family are always reproaching him for his affection for Marguerite; —
“老年人都是自私的;他的家人总是责备他对玛格丽特的感情;” —

there are two reasons why he is likely to leave her nothing. —
“他不太可能留给她什么的原因有两个。” —

I give her good advice, and she only says it will be plenty of time to take on the count when the duke is dead. —
“我给她好建议,而她只是说在这位公爵去世后再接纳那位伯爵也不迟。” —

It isn’t all fun,” continued Prudence, “to live like that. —
“像这样生活并不全是乐趣,”普鲁登斯继续说道。 —

I know very well it wouldn’t suit me, and I should soon send the old man about his business. —
我很清楚这不适合我,我应该尽快让这个老人离开。 —

He is so dull; he calls her his daughter; —
他太无聊了,他把她当作自己的女儿, —

looks after her like a child; and is always in the way. —
像对待一个孩子一样照顾她,时常碍事。 —

I am sure at this very moment one of his servants is prowling about in the street to see who comes out, and especially who goes in.”
我敢肯定此刻他的一个仆人正在街上潜伏,看看谁出来,尤其是谁进去。

“Ah, poor Marguerite!” said Gaston, sitting down to the piano and playing a waltz. —
“啊,可怜的玛格丽特!”加斯东边坐下弹起一支华尔兹。 —

“I hadn’t a notion of it, but I did notice she hasn’t been looking so gay lately.”
“我没有注意到,但我确实发现她最近看起来不那么开心了。”

“Hush,” said Prudence, listening. Gaston stopped.
“嘘,”普鲁登斯说着,倾听。加斯东停下手中的琴键。

“She is calling me, I think.”
“她在叫我,我想。”

We listened. A voice was calling, “Prudence!”
我们听着。有个声音在叫:“普鲁登斯!”

“Come, now, you must go,” said Mme. Duvernoy.
“来吧,你必须走了。”杜韦尔诺伊夫人说。

“Ah, that is your idea of hospitality,” said Gaston, laughing; —
“啊,这就是你们待客的方式,”加斯东笑着说。 —

“we won’t go till we please.”
“我们自己决定什么时候走。”

“Why should we go?”
“我们为什么要走呢?”

“I am going over to Marguerite’s.”
“我要去玛格丽特那边。”

“We will wait here.”
“我们会在这里等待。”

“You can’t.”
“你不能。”

“Then we will go with you.”
“那我们会陪你一起去的。”

“That still less.”
“还是少一些。”

“I know Marguerite,” said Gaston; “I can very well pay her a call.”
“我知道玛格丽特,我可以去看她。”

“But Armand doesn’t know her.”
“但阿尔芒不认识她。”

“I will introduce him.”
“我会向他介绍的。”

“Impossible.”
“不可能。”

We again heard Marguerite’s voice calling to Prudence, who rushed to her dressing-room window. —
我们再次听到玛格丽特的声音呼唤普鲁登斯,她冲到了她的化妆室的窗户前。 —

I followed with Gaston as she opened the window. —
她打开窗户,我们跟着加斯东进去。 —

We hid ourselves so as not to be seen from outside.
我们躲起来,以免被外面的人看见。

“I have been calling you for ten minutes, ” said Marguerite from her window, in almost an imperious tone of voice.
“我已经呼唤你十分钟了。”玛格丽特从窗户里用近乎傲慢的口吻说道。

“What do you want?”
“你想要什么?”

“I want you to come over at once.”
“我想你立刻过来。”

“Why?”
“为什么?”

“Because the Comte de N. is still here, and he is boring me to death.”
“因为恩康特还在这里,他让我无聊至极。”

“I can’t now.”
“现在我不能去。”

“What is hindering you?”
“是什么在阻碍你?”

“There are two young fellows here who won’t go.”
“这里有两个年轻人不肯走。”

“Tell them that you must go out.”
“告诉他们你得要出去。”

“I have told them.”
“我已经告诉过他们了。”

“Well, then, leave them in the house. They will soon go when they see you have gone.”
“嗯,那就把他们留在屋里。等他们看到你已经走了,他们很快就会离开。”

“They will turn everything upside down.”
“他们会把一切都搞得一团糟。”

“But what do they want?”
“但他们到底想要什么?”

“They want to see you.”
“他们想见你。”

“What are they called?”
“他们叫什么名字?”

“You know one, M. Gaston R.”
“你认识一个,叫加斯东·R。”

“Ah, yes, I know him. And the other?”
“啊,是的,我认识他。还有另外一个人呢?”

“M. Armand Duval; and you don’t know him.”
“阿曼德·杜瓦尔先生;你不认识他。”

“No, but bring them along. Anything is better than the count. I expect you. Come at once.”
“不,但请把他们带来。比那个伯爵好多了。我在等你。立刻来。”

Marguerite closed her window and Prudence hers. —
玛格丽特关上了她的窗户,普鲁登斯也关上了她的。 —

Marguerite, who had remembered my face for a moment, did not remember my name. —
玛格丽特曾经记住了我的脸,但是没有记住我的名字。 —

I would rather have been remembered to my disadvantage than thus forgotten.
与被遗忘相比,我宁愿被记住而带来不利。

“I knew,” said Gaston, “that she would be delighted to see us.”
“我知道,”加斯东说,“她会很高兴见到我们。”

“Delighted isn’t the word,” replied Prudence, as she put on her hat and shawl. —
“高兴已经不能形容了,”普鲁登斯回答道,她戴上了帽子和披肩。 —

“She will see you in order to get rid of the count. —
“她会见你是为了摆脱那个伯爵。 —

Try to be more agreeable than he is, or (I know Marguerite) she will put it all down to me.”
尽量比他更有吸引力,或者(我了解玛格丽特)她会把这全归咎于我。”

We followed Prudence downstairs. I trembled; —
我们跟着普鲁登斯下楼。我颤抖着; —

it seemed to me that this visit was to have a great influence on my life. —
我觉得这次访问对我的生活将产生巨大影响。 —

I was still more agitated than on the evening when I was introduced in the box at the Opera Comique. —
我比在歌剧院的包厢里见面时还要激动。当我们走到你所知道的那扇门时, —

As we reached the door that you know, my heart beat so violently that I was hardly able to think.
我的心跳得如此剧烈,我几乎无法思考。

We heard the sound of a piano. Prudence rang. The piano was silent. —
我们听到了钢琴的声音。普鲁登斯按了门铃。钢琴停了下来。 —

A woman who looked more like a companion than a servant opened the door. —
一位看起来更像是伴侣而不是仆人的女人打开了门。 —

We went into the drawing-room, and from that to the boudoir, which was then just as you have seen it since. —
我们走进了客厅,然后到了那间与你所见到的一样的闺房。 —

A young man was leaning against the mantel-piece. —
一个年轻人靠着壁炉台。 —

Marguerite, seated at the piano, let her fingers wander over the notes, beginning scraps of music without finishing them. —
玛格丽特坐在钢琴旁,让手指漫游在音符上,开始了没能完成的音乐片段。 —

The whole scene breathed boredom, the man embarrassed by the consciousness of his nullity, the woman tired of her dismal visitor. —
整个场景都充满了无聊,男人意识到自己的无足轻重而尴尬不已,女人厌倦了她沉闷的访客。 —

At the voice of Prudence, Marguerite rose, and coming toward us with a look of gratitude to Mme. Duvernoy, said:
听到普鲁登斯的声音,玛格丽特站起来,朝我们走来,向迪弗内瓦夫人表示感激,并说道:

“Come in, and welcome.”
“请进,欢迎您。”